THE HONOURABLE IAN S. McMILLAN
The Honourable Ian S. McMillan was appointed to the Superior Court of Justice in 2001. He retired from the Bench in July 2020.
In 25 years of the practice of law, Mr. McMillan’s primary focus was on litigation pertaining to a broad band of areas that included civil, personal injury, construction, insurance, labour and employment, product liability, contracts/commercial, occupiers’ liability and fire loss, both on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants. The varying subject-matter provided a broad breadth of appreciation for the vagaries that were confronted on the Bench in a generalist court that adjudicated all lines of business.
As both counsel and a Judge, the resolution of litigants’ disputes was always at the forefront and civil pre-trials, criminal pre-trials, family law settlement and trial management conferences invoked a good measure of tactful negotiation to arrive at a resolution satisfactory to all parties. An approach that entails thorough preparation, issue and risk identification, impartiality, respect, sincerity and integrity will usually prevail in enabling parties to devise a satisfactory accord of their own making.
- University of Windsor Law School, 1974
- Called to the Bar, 1976
- Private general practice, Provenzano, McMillan, 1976
- Appointed Judge of the Superior Court of Justice and a Judge ex-officio of the Court of Appeal for Ontario, May 2, 2001
- Director, Ontario Court Judges’ Association, two terms, 2006 – 2012
- Editor, OSCJA Bi-Annual Newsletter, 3 year term
- Northeast Regional Administrative Judge of First Small Claims Court
- Recipient, Her Majesty the Queen, Golden Jubilee Medal
- Local Administrative Judge, District of Algoma, 2010 – 2015
- Attended Cambridge Lectures, Queen’s College, University of Cambridge, England, 2015
- Elected Supernumerary Status, 2015
- Retired from the Bench, July 6, 2020
TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
Contact Marjorie Coe
Coe ADR Management
617 – 7 King Street East
Toll free 1-844-547-2977