The Honourable Robert G.S. Del Frate
The Honourable Robert G.S. Del Frate was appointed to the Ontario Superior Court of Justice in 2001 and retired in 2020. As a Judge, he presided over numerous jury and non-jury trials involving a variety of legal issues including personal injury claims, insurance coverage disputes, disability, product liability as well as corporate and commercial disputes.
As a Judge, Mr. Del Frate heard cases in both official languages throughout Ontario but primarily in Northern Ontario. He is also fluent in Italian, the language of his birth.
During his time in the practice of law, he acted for both plaintiffs and defendants which provided him with an appreciation of the risks facing opposing parties in litigation. He was known as a skilled trial counsel, but one who also knew how to achieve settlements to the satisfaction of his clients. His experience in practice served him well as a Judge when presiding over pre-trials where he was known to effectively assist counsel in discussions of trial risks and helped them find a mutually agreed settlement.
As a Judge, Mr. Del Frate took numerous courses dealing with settlement techniques and the Mediation process. In retirement, he is active in monitoring The Negotiations and Dispute Resolution material provided by the program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School.
Mr. Del Frate is now pleased to offer his services as Mediator and Arbitrator. He is available to conduct Mediation and Arbitration by Video or Teleconference or a combination of both. He looks forward to when in-person attendances can be offered again in ADR proceedings.
- May 2001 Superior Court of Justice of Ontario
- 2010 Ontario Review Board
- 2011 Pension Appeal Board
- 2015 Elected Supernumerary Status
- January 2020 Retired
- 1964 Sudbury High School Graduate
- 1967 Laurentian University, B.A. Français & Political Science Graduate
- Summer 1968 Crown Attorney’s Office (Sudbury, ON)
- Summer 1969 Office of The Honourable Mr. Justice J.A. Jerome
- 1970 Osgoode Hall, LL. B. Graduate
- 1970 – 1971 Articled with Law Office of Arthur E. Maloney, Q.C.
- March 1972 Admitted to Ontario Bar
- Junior Associate with Lacroix, Forest, Labrosse Law Firm and The Honourable Mr. Justice Labrosse
- 1973 – 1985 Bilingual Part-time Crown Attorney (Sudbury, ON)
- May 2001 – Jan. 2020 Justice – Superior Court of Justice (Ontario)
- 1972 – 2001 Partner/Private Practice – Lacroix, Forest & Del Frate Law Firm
- Specializing in civil litigation in both official languages.
- Practiced in criminal law as well as real estate and estate law.
- 1967 Sword of Loyola Award – University of Sudbury
- 2011 50 Years Alumni Recognition Award – Laurentian University
- 2017 Spirit of Ontario Award
- 1965 – 1966 Member, Student General Association Laurentian University
- 1966 – 1967 President of University of Sudbury Student Council
- 1968 – 1970 Member of Sports Association (Osgoode Hall)
- Member of Laurentian Hospital Board
- Treasurer of Sudbury Law Association
- Member of Sudbury Soccer Association
- 1973 – 1989 Board of Regents, University of Sudbury
- 1986 – 1989 Chair of Board of Regents
- 1974 – 1975 Cambrian College – Teaching Civil Litigation
- Participated/Lectured insurance adjusters, lawyers, doctors, nurses, teachers on topics of insurance law, medical malpractice and personal injury
- 1975 – Present Member of Advocates Society
- 1990 – 1992 Director of Advocates Society
- 1970 Member of Canadian Bar Association
- 1972 – Present Member of Sudbury Law Association
- Membre de l’Association des juristes d’expression française de l’Ontario
- Member and Executive of Ducks Unlimited
- Member and Executive, Ruffed Grouse Society of Canada
- Member and Executive, Pheasants Forever Canada
- Member of the Caruso Club
- 1989 – 2003 Board of Governors, Laurentian University, Chair of Finance Committee, Vice-Chair of Building & Planning Committee,
- Member of Executive Committee and Bilingualism Committee, Presidential Review Committee; Presidential Search Committee, Vice-Chair of Board
- 1998 – 2001 Chair of Board of Governors, Laurentian University
- 1989 – 2001 Member of Club Montessori of Sudbury
- 1990 – 2001 Regional Bench & Bar Committee, North East Region
TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
Contact Marjorie Coe
Coe ADR Management
617 – 7 King Street East
Toll free 1-844-547-2977